Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day 2 of 2 (part 1)

Well, the Barley Wine is about 60 minutes into it's 90 minute boil and is looking absolutely wonderful! Unfortunately, this troublesome Imperial Stout is giving me nothing but sass. The good news is it's fermenting like crazy! The bad news is it's blowing the krausen into the bubbler and clogging it. So, about every 15 or 20 minutes I've had to clean and sanitize a new bubbler and make a quick switch. This isn't too bad considering the top of the fermenter is all co2 and co2 is heavier than air making anything bad getting into the beer somewhat unlikely, but I still really hate having the carboy open. It makes me very nervous. To the left is a picture of the beer (only 4 gallons full in a 6 gallon fermenter) right before it started blowing all over the place.
So I guess it's back to finishing the Barley Wine! We didn't get to the cider today, but will hopefully in the next week or two.

beer!
-Kyle

No comments: