Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Aging away.



Well, I racked the Impy Stout over to the secondary today because after it's insanely serious primary fermentation it seems to have finally slowed to a near stop. Unlike the stout, however, the Barley Wine is still bubbling away! Woohoo!

The stout came out actually right at about the right OG. I measured it at 1.027 and I'm pretty pleased about that. The flavor of the beer was pretty, well, harsh. Being this as my first big beer I'm not too surprised. The aroma was actually really good. Thank goodness! I was worried about that damn molasses. The flavor was ok. It hit the mouth really sweet and somewhat bitter followed by a strong hit of alcohol and the finish was medium bodied and warm. It lacked any good balance, but I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that a month (how long until joe and shawn get here) will be long enough for this beer to balance itself out and be delicious.

So, above is a picture of the guys aging away. To the right you can see the CO2 tank that the Delicious Stout is hooked up too, and where ultimately the new Stout will be. I'm excited that the Barley Wine is where it's at. I've never seen such a thick whitish yellow layer of yeast on top of the beer under the krausen on any other beer I've made. And it's 7 days into primary fermetation and is still bubbling at a constant rate :)

No comments: